Wednesday, September 30, 2026

A Gentleman at Car Wash, "Don't Go For Looks"


Getting ready for a week in Portland, at the Tri-State Gas Engine and Antique Tractor Show, I’d scheduled this particular Tuesday for getting the truck clean.  So, off to Prime Car Wash where they clean the interior, yay.


The young gentleman with a mobile POS met me at the barricaded sign, he had a great smile and dreadlocks.  When I waved my hand expressing I didn’t want all the extras or to be a member, he admired my butterfly red-winged rings.  I told him, “They were for my 20th anniversary.”


He instantly said, “I want a Christian wife.  I’ve been praying.”


What a surprise.  Knowing the scripture says “God's able to make all grace abound towards you” I said, “I’ll pray with you.”


I pulled around, parked in the bay and walked in to pay.


Inside, he told me his name was Brady, he began talking and I found out he’s only 25 y.o.  He’s also going to a Christian young adult group to study Bible and he wants a big family and the Christian life.


He actually asked for advice!  Me!  An old white-haired caucasian lady!  Not a man, minister, or anyone notable.  Me!


Since I’m realizing he’s not getting the lady he wants I suggested he look at somebody different.  “Don’t go for looks or what you think you want, look at the girls that haven’t immediately attracted you.”


Then I told him how I’d met John at Junior Achievement and he bordered on being Geeky.  And I really wasn't looking for someone physically like John….  I was used to men built more like my dad:  broad shouldered, 6 ft. tall, dark haired and not so easy going.


But John was honest, had a sense of humor, was hard working, ready to do whatever you wanted to do, a great companion.  We went to fairs, Kings Island, had pizza parties, played board games, bowling (he was a pro), loved Euchre.  We had a lot of things we liked to do together.  


As example of smart and hardworking, I told him John pulled up in a gray-primered ’69 Camaro.  Ugly color, it was.  Later, he came back having painted it himself in a bright shiny red!


Then a customer pulled up outside in the car wash lane, from behind the counter Brady raised his hand with a finger saying, “Let me take care of him.  I’ll be back.  I’ve got questions.”


When Brady came back and began talking again he looked sad as he said he had had a Christian girlfriend, his ex-girlfriend liked Euchre and so did her family, “I loved that family.” He was wistful.  


I showed him pictures on my phone --John sitting next to 3 sons, and our big family photo.  


“See, he’s not tall, black-haired and handsome.  But he pursued me for 5 years. He knew what HE wanted, LOL.”


Brady raised his eyebrows with an amazed look.


“We had lots in common.  Friendship first … if you like hiking, does she?  if you like biking, does she?  you like cards,  does she?  Friendship first, love can always come.”


Saying good bye I wished him good luck, and “I will pray for you" and  did.  Twice. 


We need good Christian people with commitment and religious families.  Life is easer and the world is bettered. 


My father once said,  “Otherwise we live in anarchy."



No comments:

Post a Comment